Located in Middlesex County, the town of Tewksbury was first settled in 1637 an was officially incorporated in 1734 from Billerica. It is named after the town of Tewkesbury, England. Tewksbury is located about 25 miles north of Boston along Route 93 and 495. The Town of is a suburban community located on the uplands between the Concord and Merrimack Rivers. It is located on slightly lowland terrain with large areas of bog and swamp throughout the town.
The original economic base depended on farming and grazing with lumbering as a secondary activity, and a saw mill was established on Trull Brook about 1736.
Residents of Tewksbury developed greenhouses and market gardens between 1890 and 1915 as the town’s dominant business, while many hothouses raised carnations and other flowers commercially for city markets. So many were raise that Tewksbury held the name of the carnation town for years.
(abstract from www.Mass.gov)
CLICK HERE FOR THE TEWKSBURY GUIDE